Monday 18 February 2013

Circulation/ Readership figures


Internet Research - Circulation/readership Figures

Here is some research into circulation figures for various music magazines to analyse readership figures and rates of success for my own music magazine. By finding out circulation and readership figures I am able to see if there is room in the market for my magazine and whether that particular genre is popular amongst readers.  

Music (rock) magazine sales in the first half of 2012 (source ABC)

 Name of title : publisher ; per issue sale ; percentage change year on year

 The Fly (free) : Channelfly Enterprises Ltd ; 108,827 ; 8.4%

New Musical Express : IPC Media Ltd ; 23,924 ; -17.6%

Uncut : IPC Media Ltd ; 63,003 ; -4.5%

 Properganda (free) : Proper Music Distribution ; 76,339 ; 68.8%

 Q : Bauer Consumer Media ; 64,596 ; -19.7%

 Kerrang! : Bauer Consumer Media ; 40,203 ; -6.6%

 Mojo : Bauer Consumer Media ; 85,149 ; -2.4%

 The Stool Pigeon (free) : Junko Partners Publishing ; 54,588 ; N/A

 

From this evidence I have found out that most issues distributed are the magazines that are free. Also we can see that many popular Q and NME have decreased in sales by 19.7% and by 17.6% this could be due to the effects of the current economic climate, due to these reasons I have decided that in order to increase my readership figures I have to keep the price of my magazine as low as possible. This should help to increase my readership figures and generate a popular music magazine.

Some pop magazine figures that I found include:

 Top of the Pops : 78,352 - % change y/y: -20.1 - Sold copies: 78,352

 We Love Pop Magazine : 50,505 - % change y/y: - Sold copies: 50,505

 Mizz : 25,753 - % change y/y: -28.1 - Sold copies: 25,715

From the information I found it is clear that sales are decreasing in all pop magazines, the most popular of these three, 'Top of the Pops Magazine' has had a fall in sales of -20.1 in 2012. This is important as this is the same genre of my magazine however this could suggest that the readers of this particular genre are ready for a new, fresh pop magazine which ultimately increases the chances of my magazine being successful.

 

 

Source: http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/node/49867

No comments:

Post a Comment